Oprah - we all know that even when I tell you to stop focusing on her program you won't, so I figured I'd give you a few pointers....
I was talking to one of the executive producers at Harpo yesterday, and she let me know that they are currently working on their April programs so first of all, know that they are only about 3-4 weeks ahead in lead time at the moment....so if you are pitching, pitch accordingly. Other pointers that will work? Take some notes from our playbook!
* Go online and check out what the producers are looking for: A show like the Oprah Winfrey Show creates amazing programming because they have outstanding producers creating it, and if you want a quick and easy sneak peek (and a chance to submit your brand for an appropriate story) just go to their website to see what they are working on next: http://www.oprah.com/tows.
* Think seasonally, 3-4 weeks ahead, and big! Pitching a product will most likely not get you a segment. They may hold it for a future gift guide, or if it's appropriate for a different topic show, but you should really be thinking about how your story fits into a larger concept, and perhaps even bring a few more brands in on the pitch.
* Remember that Oprah is now doing Hot Topics a la The View.....if you have a cool product or are part of a hot topic, this would be a better place to pitch.
* At Oprah there are actually groups of producers who are working on things in teams. They have a schedule that shows what their specific shows are that they need to fill, as well as what other teams are working on. If you create a great relationship with one, they can often find out who to pitch if they are not your best bet. Want to get to know the teams and their styles? Join them on Facebook!! Read the Producers Blogs in the show's Facebook Group.
* Watch the show! Sounds silly I know, but if you haven't watched since you were in college you really don't know the current style and content. Want to be an even better detective? When you see an episode that is similar to content you cover, watch to see who produced it....this is the producer you should target for your pitch!
FINALLY....the more press you get in other outlets and in other venues, the more likely the producers will see you or hear about you and have you in mind for another segment!
Go get em!