You may have heard about the Shine A Light program from American Express in partnership with NBC Universal, where you could possibly win a $50,000 grant and $50,000 in marketing support from American Express. We checked out the program, and looked at the nominees (some are Tin Shingle members!) and it’s really worth taking a few minutes to enter this program for the traffic driving potential and brand exposure alone for your small business, or business you choose to nominate (those who nominate have a chance of winning a $3,000 American Express gift card if your nomination is chosen as a finalist).
We know that nobody labors harder every day than a small business owner, so this Labor Day weekend you might want to consider doing something to celebrate yourself by nominating your business, a friend's business or a beloved small business in your community for the Shine A Light program. The program will be judged on what inspires most based on innovation, community spirit and customer service. To make it even more exciting, some of our favorite entrepreneurs and experts are judging:
- Talk show host and entrepreneur Ellen DeGeneres (she tweets about it sometimes)
- Fashion designer and entrepreneur Diane von Furstenberg
- MSNBC's small business expert and host JJ Ramberg
Being nominated places your website link on a national website supported by American Express and NBC Universal. We believe many of you have exactly the types of inspirational businesses that they are looking for.
Also, don't be shy, we talked to the big wigs and they say it is totally acceptable - and encouraged - to nominate yourself!
Deadline for nomination is September 13th, 2009 and the winner will be announced October 19th, 2009.
Ready to enter? Here's How:
- Go to nbc.com/shinealight
- Submit a written nomination online for your business (or another business), accompanied by logo, photographs or video, if desired
- Tell all your friends via your newsletter, blog, Twitter, Facebook, and Tin Shingle's Link Love platform (which we Tweet often). If you'd like to get listed in our Link Love section, you must be a Tin Shingle member. Get more details on it here.
- You will be able to find promotional tools such as widgets and banners on the Shine A Light site to help you encourage online voting. Plus, such widgets and banners can also be used on Facebook and Myspace.