Tin Shingle's co-founder Katie talks to intellectual property attorney Eve J. Brown, co-founder of Bricolage Law, and Eve has a lot of passions for small businesses and start ups, and a lot of experienced advice. In this webinar, Eve treats you to some Legal 101, and then shares her stories from the trenches of trademark bullying. You will also hear her strategies to product your business from these bullies, which one of her specialties.
THE LANDSCAPE OF LEGAL SERVICES
- Learn the landscape of legal clinics at law schools as an option for legal advice for startups and entrepreneurs.
LEGAL BASICS FOR STARTING OUT
- 6 tips to avoid common mistakes when starting up your business (or anytime).
- When to graduate from doing business under your social security number to an EIN.
- The difference between LLC and SCORP - in 5 minutes or less!
- Intellectual Property 101
- 5 types of Intellectual Property and basic steps required to protect them.
- What is trademark bullying, and how do companies like Monster Energy, Nautica, Entrepreneur Magazine and Honest Co. begin their quest for seizing the name of your company?
- What to do when the .com is taken for the dream name of your business. Should you use the .net or .co? Even if no trademark exists on that name for your type of business?
- Does filing for a trademark open a can of worms and put your business on the radar of trademark bullies at large companies? What becomes the point of obtaining a trademark for small businesses?
- How to budget for the road ahead if your company receives a cease and desist letter from a major corporation during your 30-day wait/opposition period of your trademark application process, or at any time.
- Crowdfunding as a means to securing capital to fight a legal battle or rebrand.
- Best practices for creating the name of your business from the start in order to avoid trademark issues.
Anyone can watch a Tin Shingle TuneUp from their computer, mobile phone or tablet. The process is different for Premium Members and the public.
MEMBERS OF TIN SHINGLE
Stream any TuneUp Webinar anytime with your Tin Shingle membership. No need to purchase it, this TuneUp is ready to play from this page! When you are logged in, you will see a big screen. Press play and start taking notes! Not a member yet? You really should be...
NON-MEMBERS OF TIN SHINGLE
Once you buy a TuneUp, you own it forever. The video or audio recording will appear on the TuneUp page that you just purchased from, and all you need to do is press play!
Eve J. Brown is the co-founder and Principal of Bricolage Law, LLC, a newly launched boutique firm that supports startups by offering easy access to the legal and business advice entrepreneurs need in order to survive the critical development and growth stages. Eve is an experienced professor, attorney, speaker, and author. She has taught entrepreneurship and intellectual property law at MIT, Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern, Suffolk University, and Indiana University. She has presented at numerous national conferences on the topics of entrepreneurship, startups, and intellectual property. She has helped over 200 small businesses launch, develop, fight bullies, and grow. Eve's passion is in supporting founders and independent businesses, and in educating new generations of entrepreneurs and leaders.
Eve is the co-author of the book "IP Strategy: Complete Intellectual Property Planning, Access, and Protection," as well as several articles on entrepreneurship, IP, and startups.